In every human organization, the art of communication cannot be overemphasized. It is the means by which people interact and work with one another. Without effective communication, nothing can be achieved in an organization. Communication skills are important in every human endeavour, even in business.
The communication process should be able to help the sender and the recipient of the message communicate in such a way that the message is received, understood, and leads to action.
Here are the important features of business communication:
CORRECTNESS: To be correct in communication, the following principles should be borne in mind.
- Use the correct level of language.
- Include only fact words and figures.
- There should be proper grammar, punctuation, spelling and paragraphing.
COMPLETENESS: To bring a desirable result, the message should be complete. It should include everything the reader needs for the reaction desired.
- Follow all necessary information.
- Answer all questions asked.
CONCRETENESS: The business writing should be specific, definite, unambiguous and vivid, rather than vague and general.
- Use specific facts and figures.
- Put action in your verb.
- Choose vivid image building words.
CONCISENESS: Business executives are very busy people. They have less time to go through unnecessary lengthy messages. Conciseness makes the message more understandable and comprehensible.
- You must eliminate wordy expressions.
- Include only relevant material.
- Avoid unnecessary repetition.
CONSIDERATION: You should try to visualise your readers, their desires, problems, emotions, and possible reaction to your request.
- Focus on the reader instead of yourself.
- Show readers benefit or interest in reading.
CLARITY: The business message should be concise, complete, correct, concrete and with consideration.
- Check accuracy of facts, figures and words.
- Use the right level of language.
- Proper punctuation makes the writing clear.
COURTESY: This is more important and advantageous in business writing than it is in face-to-face conversation or communication. Courteous message helps to strengthen relations and make new friends. It builds goodwill.
- Answer your mail promptly.
- Use expressions that show respect.
- Be appreciative, thoughtful and sincerely tactful.